Top Food Trends of 2017
Less Stress, More Superfoods
People are tired of breaking their diet plans they dreamt of pursuing. The new trends show consumers being mindful of what they eat, to achieve a healthy lifestyle. Instead, many are choosing clean and mindful eating to their path of healthier living.
The top 10 Superfoods registered dieticians say to consume are:
1 Seeds, like chia and hemp
3. Nuts, like almonds and walnuts
4. Fermented foods like yogurt
5 Ancient grains
7. Green tea
8. Coconut products
9. Exotic fruits
Food Transparency Has Eased Consumer Concern
Compared to 2016, dietitians report that consumers will be less concerned with the food trends of previous years, such as:
- Foods that are GMO-free, sustainable or gluten-free.
- GMO-free and sustainable foods have experienced on average a 20 percent decrease in terms of what concerns consumers. Dietitians attribute this decline to food label transparency and more food companies changing their ingredient deck. In contrast, consumers will be looking for more low-sodium and sugar-free options in 2017.
Top Tips from Registered Dietitians for Eating Healthier in 2017
The survey also captures RDs' top tips for how to eat healthier and make smarter purchasing decisions next year. Their best advice for consumers includes:
- Eating more servings of fruits and vegetables.
- Choosing high-quality, nutrient-rich foods in all food groups.
- Limiting consumption of highly processed foods.
- And instead of focusing on diets, RDs recommend choosing foods based on a wholesome ingredient list and high level of quality proteins and carbs.