What To Eat Before & After Your Workout
Tips and Tricks from our Trainers and What We've Learned Along the Way
A rule of thumb: if nothing is available, the world's most natural foods will prep you best for your workouts and help you recover afterwards.
If it's before a high intensity workout, try to reach for some natural sugar and/or fat before for energy and endurance.
For post-workout meals, focus on a combo of protein, fat, carbs and sugar. It's suggested to get your carbs from veggies and having a small serving of sweet potatoes if the goal is to lose weight. Read some examples below, and the additional tips at the bottom!
Remember: Don't overthink it, just keep it simple. Eat real, whole food!
Examples of Pre-Workout snacks:
1. Spoonful of peanut butter with a bit of raw honey
2. Handful of raw almonds and blueberries
3. 1/4 Spoonful of Coconut Oil (an old athlete secret)
Examples of Post-Workout meals:
1. Veggie Egg Scramble + Fruit
- Pick 3 of your favorite veggies (onion, mushroom, spinach, etc.),
- 2-4 eggs,
- and a small bowl of fruit (if you wish)
2. A HUGE Salad
- Your base is Dark Leafy Greens (spinach, kale, romaine, arugula,
- Add in some chopped herbs like basil, parsley or cilantro),
- Add in a Lean Protein (chicken, turkey or fish),
- Add Vegetables (use a large amount of beets, carrots, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, radish or celery,
- Add fats (choose 1-2 of the following: ¼ - ½ avocado, 6-8 raw almonds or walnuts, or sprinkling some raw sunflower seeds),
- And dressing (1 tablespoon olive oil + a touch of a vinegar you like and a squeeze of lemon or lime)
3. A Dinner Post-Workout
- Choose a favorite protein (chicken, fish, beef, turkey),
- Veggies (2 servings),
- and 1 serving of fat (choose 1-2 of the following: ¼ - ½ avocado, 6-8 raw almonds or walnuts, or sprinkling some raw sunflower seeds).
- Make an effort to eat within 30-45 minutes after a workout. If that's hard to make happen, pack fruit and raw almonds.
- Make a conscious effort to drink a lot of water post-workout - if you're ravenous after your workout, it's because you're dehydrated as well (dehydration is masked as hunger!)
- The smoothie packed with tens of fruits post-workout should not be a go-to -- it will skyrocket your insulin levels which is not great for fat loss. You do need sugar post workout, so limit the smoothies, or how much you consume of them at once.
Handstand is a training on demand platform that allows even the busiest of people to get their workout in conveniently. We have a 10% acceptance rate and all of the trainers and instructors on our platform are background checked, screened, interviewed, and come to you!
New user? Use user promo code: FIRST for a $30 off